Things You Should Know About E-2 Visas

If you want to open or expand your business in the US, you may qualify for an E-2 visa. If you are researching investor visas Houston TX, you fill find that the E-2 visa may be less expensive and approval may be quicker than the EB-5 visa. However, there are a few things you need to know prior to applying.


E-2 visas are not available to individuals from any country. In fact, your country must have a commerce or navigation treaty with the United States before you can be granted an E-2 visa. Although most countries have this type of treaty, some, such as India and China, do not. Therefore, people from these countries are not eligible to obtain this type of investor visa. The US State Department has a list of qualifying countries.


Your investment must be in a for-profit business within the US. Although no minimum investment is stated, the investment must ensure that the business can run successfully for the foreseeable future, which often requires at least a $100,000 investment. However, this investment amount could be significantly higher if the business requires additional capital to operate successfully.

The funds you use for your investment must have been obtained legally. The government will trace the origins of the investment and may require tax returns and financial statements. Be prepared to provide significant financial documentation.

Your investment should present a risk, and you must balance this risk against the rewards you expect, including your residency. You cannot just transfer money into a US bank account. You must be risking money to earn this visa. Escrow accounts may be used to reduce this risk until your visa is approved.


You should have a strong business plan prior to investing your money. This plan should discuss your goals, visions and business processes and operations to prove it will be profitable. In addition, you should own at least 50% of the business to qualify for an E-2 visa. The business must generate a significant income. For example, it cannot be the purchase of land you expect to increase in value. You should participate in commerce of some sort so your business contributes to the US economy.


E-2 visas are granted for 2-year periods. Although you can renew this visa indefinitely, each renewal will only last 2 years. Permanent residency, a green card and citizenship are not benefits of this visa.

If you are interested in coming to the US to invest in a new or existing for-profit business, you may consider seeking the less-expensive E-2 visa.